Sunday 23 October 2016

Sermon: Our Royal Standard

From the days of my childhood to the present day. I look back and see how things have changed in the world. What was once considered to be not good, and to be bad are now considered to be good.
 
The word SIN is rarely us now in general in the world. However in the different religions in the world Christianity has become very diverse. Some fractions are saying certain behaviour is acceptable to God, and others as an abomination. Good, and evil have often been portrayed on colours as white, and black. And in-between various shades of gray. Linear measurements have also be used if one deviates from a standard measure. For example. Physical standards. One of the oldest yard-rods in existence is the cloth yard of the Worshipful Company of Merchant Taylors. It consists of a hexagonal iron rod 5⁄8 inch in diameter and 1⁄100 inch short of a yard, encased within a silver rod bearing the hallmark 1445. In the early 15th century, the Merchant Taylors Company was authorized to "make search" at the opening of the annual St. Bartholomew's Day Cloth Fair. In the mid-18th century Graham compared the standard yard of the Royal Society to other existing standards. These were a "long-disused" standard made in 1490 during the reign of Henry VII, and a brass yard and a brass ell from 1588 in the time of Queen Elizabeth and still in use at the time, held at the Exchequer a brass yard and a brass bell at the Guildhall; and a brass yard presented to the Clock-Makers Company by the Exchequer in 1671. The Exchequer yard was taken as "true" the variation was found to be +1⁄20 to −1⁄15 of an inch, and an additional  graduation for the Exchequer yard was made on the Royal society's standard. In 1758 the legislature required the construction of a standard yard, which was made from the Royal Society's standard and was deposited with the clerk of the House of Commons; it was divided into feet, one of the feet into inches, and one of the inches into tenths. A copy of it, but with upright cheeks between which other measuring rods could be placed, was made for the Exchequer for commercial use. Spiritual Standards as we can read this in the Book of Mormon.
 
1  AND now I, Nephi, make an end of my prophesying unto you, my beloved brethren.  And I cannot write but a few things, which I know must surely come to pass; neither can I write but a few of the words of my brother Jacob.
2  Wherefore, the things which I have written sufficeth me, save it be a few words which I must speak concerning the doctrine of Christ; wherefore, I shall speak unto you plainly, according to the plainness of my prophesying.
3  For my soul delighteth in plainness; for after this manner doth the Lord God work among the children of men.  For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding
4  Wherefore, I would that ye should remember that I have spoken unto you concerning that prophet which the Lord showed unto me, that should baptise the Lamb of God, which should take away the sins of the world.
(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 31:1 - 4)

12  And also, the voice of the Son came unto me, saying: He that is baptized
in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me;
wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do.
13  Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Saviour down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost; and then can ye speak with the tongue of angels, and shout praises unto the Holy One of Israel.
(Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 31:12 - 13)

We know the our Farther in Heaven is unchanging in his laws. Therefore His standards do not change over time. Regardless of what the world says.

Apostle Elder Peter Barber

No comments:

Welcome to The Restored Branch of Jesus Christ

We hope you find this blog a good source of information about the Restored Branch of Jesus Christ. If you have any questions or are interested in finding out more about the church email us at info@restoredbranch.com

You are also welcome to join us at our Sunday services, which are held at 10:30 - 1:00 every Sunday. Contact us for details. God Bless and keep you.